Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Expect the Unexpected: Our First Day

Monday, 26 May 2014

As the attendents recited their arrival mantra, seat backs forward, tray tables up, all electronics off, I hear my name called among half a dozen others to please contact a Qantas representative after the deplane ramp.  What's this about?  After a quick list of options, I concluded my bag didn't make it on.

Sure enough at the end of the ramp a representative gives me a greeting card with "Mr. Gartz, We're here to help" written on it, and directions to another representative at Baggage Claim.  "How", I ask, trying not to blame this nice australian woman for something that happened 7000 miles away, "could my bag not make it on this plane when we had almost three hours between landing and departing".  Without looking up she replied "LA".  I laughed and said no more.  I received some soft cotton Logo sleep wear, a bag of toiletries, and a $100 credit card.  Well, they did help after all.  

After a short taxi ride (paid with my new credit card) we arrived at The Holiday Inn, Old Sydney.  This hotel was recommended by our friend Thom as the best location in Sydney.  It is right in The Rocks, the original settlement one street off the Quay with a fabulous view of the Opera House and harbor.  Although we were early, about 9:00 am, we thought our luck changed when the clerck said we could check in early.  However, after checking with housekeeping he said the room had plumbing problems and the next room wouldn't be available for a couple hours.  So we checked our bags, went to the roof deck pool to freshen up and took in the view. 

Opera house from our room

The Quay from our room.

Running some errands, getting lunch and periodically checking the status of our room, we weren't able to check in until 4:00 pm.  Ahh, a shower after 40 hours.  And those skivvies I threw in my carry on at the last minute..... Nice to have.  

Next Post:  A Vivid Experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment